Chris has many years of experience in building successful wealth management practices, most notably at Colonial First State which he joined in 1988. He was instrumental in taking the company from a start-up operation to become Australia’s largest investment manager during his fourteen-year tenure. Chris then joined Challenger Financial Services Group Limited in early 2003 as Chief Executive Officer.
Chris is now involved in a portfolio of activities including a number of directorships, managing public and private investments, and in various roles assisting the not-for-profit sector. In addition to being Chairman and Founder of Australian Philanthropic Services, this includes:
- Chairman of UniSuper (the $55 billion superannuation scheme servicing the staff of universities and related institutions across Australia);
- Non executive director of Fitzpatrick Private Wealth (a national advisory and wealth management firm);
- Non executive director of Global Value Fund Limited, Antipodes Global Investment Company Limited and Argo Investments Limited (investment companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange);
- Founding director and portfolio manager of Third Link Growth Fund (a managed investment scheme investing in Australian shares where the management fees received are donated to charity); and
- Director of Cuffelinks Pty Ltd, which produces a weekly newsletter called Cuffelinks which is directed to engaged investors and professionals in the financial services industry.
Chris holds a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of NSW and a Diploma from the Securities Institute of Australia (now the Financial Services Institute of Australasia). He is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, a Fellow of the Institute of Company Directors and an Associate of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia. In 2007 Chris was inducted into the Australian Fund Manager’s RBS Hall of Fame for services to the investment industry.
Chris is also a trustee director and portfolio manager of Australian Philanthropic Services Foundation.